Tuesday, June 09, 2009

#139 World Series: The Cards Celebrate

#139 World Series: The Cards Celebrate (back)
Back-to-back World Series cards, and this one skips over Game Seven and spoils the outcome. Oh well, it's all in the order that I received the cards. What we have here is a beautiful action shot of the St. Louis players leaping off of the bench and rushing the field after Bobby Richardson popped out to Dal Maxvill at second base for the final out in Bob Gibson's 7-5 complete game victory in Game Seven. The only player I can identify is Tim McCarver, who is in his catcher's gear and is at far left of the multi-player man hug. I really like those red satin Cardinals jackets with the bird in his batting stance, and I think it's a shame that the guy in the tan suit at top left and the gentleman in the green patterned shirt and light-colored pants at top right had their heads chopped off; I bet they were really something. It's too bad that security is so tight at sporting events these days (though it is completely understandable). The iconic images of two small boys greeting Bill Mazeroski as he rounded third base with the 1960 World Series-winning homer, or the enthusiastic and unkempt young gentlemen joining Hank Aaron for his 715th home run trot are truly a part of baseball history.

This was the Cardinals' first World Series trip and title since 1946, when they outlasted the Boston Red Sox in seven games. The Redbirds wouldn't have to wait as long for their next trip to the promised land, as they made back-to-back appearances in the Fall Classic in 1967-1968. In both of those years, the series again went seven games; the former a victory over the Red Sox, and the latter a defeat to the Detroit Tigers.
#139 World Series: The Cards Celebrate (back)

4 comments:

  1. I love the stats on the back. I remember being fascinated with those as a kid. You'd think I would have gotten better math grades with me having such a head for stats.

    I remember two things about the '64 Series. I recall that I watched some of the games at my cousin's house off Edmondson Avenue in Catonsville Md.
    And I remember that my Dad, a serious Yankee fan back then, blamed Yogi Berra for screwing up the Yankee's pitching and blowing the Series. I looked back at the lines for the games and all I can figure is that Berra started Stottlemyre on short rest in Game 7. Dunno why Whitey Ford only made one start (Game 1) but I know he was hurt that year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob - If you haven't already, I recommend reading "October 1964" by David Halberstam. It's an excellent history of both that year's Cardinals and Yankees, and that exciting World Series. It's been a few years since I read it, so I can't recall any tactical errors Yogi might have made, but the Yanks certainly agreed with your dad, since they fired him and hired the guy who beat him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen the Halberstram book several times but just never picked it up for some reason. I'll be sure to grab it next time. Thanks, Kevin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Late to the game here, but I love your blog and the '65 set. This is one of the first sets I completed back in the 1980's, mainly because I liked it and I had most of the big boys already. This picture is obviously colorized (wrongly), because Game 7 was played in St. Louis and the Cardinals wore red caps at home starting in 1964. Bob

    ReplyDelete