Friday, April 01, 2011

#508 Checklist 7th Series

#508 Checklist 7th Series
So we end another shipment from Max with...a checklist? Seems like an anti-climax. Oh well, I appreciate the breather, anyway. Thanks Max!

This checklist corresponds to the 7th and final series of 1965 Topps. It encompasses cards #507-598, meaning that there's no hundred-level hero number. #550 goes to young Yankee star Mel Stottlemyre. The other big names here are Ernie Banks, Lou Brock, and Boog Powell (said the biased Orioles fan). Not quite as star-heavy as the other series...Topps seems to have front-loaded the set. Of course, if we check the cards that are simply labeled as "Rookies" we'll find a few more familiar faces: Catfish Hunter, Tug McGraw, and Tony Perez are lurking there. Believe it or don't, I have 84 of the 92 cards featured on this checklist! That's 91.3%, slightly less than my overall set completion of 95.3%. It won't be long now!

#508 Checklist 7th Series (back)

5 comments:

  1. Max forgot to mark box#508!

    ReplyDelete
  2. from another anomyous: While I'm not a big series card fan, I learned something. My brother collected card in 65 not me, too young. When I look at this checklist I realize that he stopped buying cards by the time this series came out. We didn't have a any cards listed here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, Anon #2, your brother and most of the other kids in America had stopped buying cards by the time the later series came out each year. Topps had figured it out and they didn't print as many. I remember that the local soda fountain/newspaper stand/candy store where we always bought cards wouldn't stock the last series. We had to go to my Uncle's drug store when we could beg a ride to get them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anon 1 - It's always interesting to see which boxes the previous owners have marked.

    Anon 2 - Were you guys knee-deep in football by the time Series 7 came out?

    Bob - Did your uncle offer any discounts on cards?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh, the 7th-series checklist! All of the stores I shopped at in the 1960s never carried the 7th series cards, so we only got to see the checklist (which was available in the 6th series).

    The first year I collected cards was 1967. The last series included mysterious names (to me) like Jim Owens, Jack Sanford, Johnny Klippstein, Bob Duliba, Jimmy Piersall, Dick Egan, Joe Adcock, Andre Rogers, Don Demeter, and Doug Camilli.

    Since 1967 was the last year those guys had cards, I had no idea who they were until years later, when I picked up most of the '67 high numbers at card shows.

    ReplyDelete